Mohala Hou Foundation
“Home of the Aloha Music Camps!”
About Mohala Hou Foundation
"Preserving and perpetuating Hawaiian culture through education and the arts. Uniting people through cultural enrichment."
The Mohala Hou Foundation was established as a non-profit organization in September 2007 to support and promote the teaching and sharing of Hawaiian music, dance, language, and culture.
The name Mohala Hou (meaning “to blossom anew”) conveys what we believe is essential for the Hawaiian culture: renewal, growth, and revitalization. And that in our hearts implies hope. We believe that the perpetuation of "the aloha spirit" and many of Hawaiʻi's other traditional ideas and areas of knowledge is vital to maintain the cultural diversity so necessary to the world today. These inspiring thoughts carry us forward in our mission.
We feel it is our kuleana (responsibility) to bring people together, both from Hawaiʻi locally and from the world at large, to allow for cultural enrichment by education in Hawaiian arts and traditional knowledge. These goals are broadly expressed in our mission statement:
- To promote public understanding and involvement in Hawaiian culture including music, dance, language, material crafts and history.
- To sponsor public performances, workshops, classes, retreats and other educational activities focused on Hawaiian culture.
- To provide scholarships for haumāna (students), kumu (teachers), and kūpuna (Hawaiian elders) to attend performances, workshops, classes, retreats and other educational activities in Hawaiian culture.
- To directly engage in other activities related to educating the public about Hawaiian music, dance, and culture.
The Board and Staff
- S. Kaliko Beamer-Trapp, President
- Moanalani Beamer, Vice-President
- Sherry Mayrent, Treasurer
- Dave Kaʻiokani Moran, Director
- Guy Sibilla, Director
- Tom Lunneburg, Board Member
- Jeff Cook, Board Member
- Claudia Goddard, Board Member
Previous Board Members
- Jack Walsh, Secretary
- Annette Deshotels, Director
Aloha Music Camp Production Team
- Keola Beamer, Artistic Director
- Kaliko Beamer-Trapp, Team Lead
- Robert 'Konabob' Stoffer: Facilities
- Rosemary Lokemalia Heckman / Turkshead Design: Marketing